aberdeen-music

The good old days

Guest Bob

It wasn't always busier! I remember afternoons a few summers ago when I'd be online, go away for for a shower and there'd be an entire page of new (not always stupid) posts. Now sometimes you go to bed and there's only about 7 new posts when you get back up in the morning.

Plus a lot of threads are the same thing I've seen about seven hundred times. There used to be a sense of community, you knew almost everyone if you saw them in the street but now I wouldn't recognise half of the people that post on here (I am a total fud though).

Perhaps it's because I don't go to as many gigs as I used to. Perhaps it's because I have something to do with my time and don't spend 12 hours a day posting. Either way I miss it. But I do have a life now too.

i agree - i mean the starfall thread thing was a one off, i dip in and out of here and its the same old shite!!!!

bloody nostalgia - we're a nation obsessed with thinking things were better in the past when they werent, live for today!

Is it just me or are there only about 6 threads on that website?

Also, every band member that posted was in the same band, Dos Dedos... which may explain the friendly atmosphere and suggest a certain element of irony in my post. I'm not saying that everyone who took my post seriously was a bit of a ninny, but if someone else would like to do it for me I'd appreciate it.

Also' date=' every band member that posted was in the same band, Dos Dedos... which may explain the friendly atmosphere and suggest a certain element of irony in my post. I'm not saying that everyone who took my post seriously was a bit of a ninny, but if someone else would like to do it for me I'd appreciate it.[/quote']

the archive was taken when a new version of the forums was about to launch and the only people that knew about the new bits were Neil, his then flatmate (Ross) and myself and marcus. The fact all 3 of us were in Dedos was just a coincidence. If I remember correctly marcus and I just happened to be online when Neil wanted people to test it.

the archive was taken when a new version of the forums was about to launch and the only people that knew about the new bits were Neil' date=' his then flatmate (Ross) and myself and marcus. The fact all 3 of us were in Dedos was just a coincidence. If I remember correctly marcus and I just happened to be online when Neil wanted people to test it.[/quote']

...making the post even more ridiculous!

That is pretty cool actually looking back at the archived sites. I like to think things have moved forward quite significantly over the years. A few facts to throw into this discussion:

1. The web site has more registered members than it has ever had in the past.

2. The web site is receiving more hits than it ever has in the past.

3. The web site is receiving more posts than it ever has in the past.

4. This web site is very nearly breaking even for the first time in its entire history.

Of course, something being popular doesn't necessarily mean it's good. But to be honest if this web site was becoming just a mess of useless posts and threads then I would expect its popularity to also decline and that just isn't happening.

I remain concerned that the web site is losing its direction a little though and that is why the future replacement for aberdeen-music.com (yep, you heard me right) will have considerably more "content" and place less emphasis on the forums. To be honest, up till now, aberdeen-music.com has pretty much consisted of nothing more than forums. Which is all well and good but this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the potential of the web site goes.

I can promise you this - I'm going to piss off a lot of people in 2005 with the next web site. But hey, progress and evolution can sometimes be painful. :)