aberdeen-music

Football this Saturday...?

Guest stuartmaxwell

i am not having at go about NME bands. I like a lot of them.

but, they are not the be all and end all of music. there are a gazillion bands out there doing far more interesting things, there are two approaches

1. wait for it to come on a radio/mtv - (which means that some playlist bod at MTV who knows fuck all about me or music chooses what i listen to, it is usually the genre that is in fashion)

2. go out and find good music - there are millions of sites round the net that htherefore i get the choice of what i hear, wide range of genres etc

im not doing the alternative holier than thou bollocks.

i know which one i would choose...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not having at go about NME bands. I like a lot of them.

but' date=' they are not the be all and end all of music. there are a gazillion bands out there doing far more interesting things, there are two approaches

1. wait for it to come on a radio/mtv - (which means that some playlist bod at MTV who knows fuck all about me or music chooses what i listen to, it is usually the genre that is in fashion)

2. go out and find good music - there are millions of sites round the net that htherefore i get the choice of what i hear, wide range of genres etc

im not doing the alternative holier than thou bollocks.

i know which one i would choose...[/quote']

I do hear a lot of bands from the internet actually, especially from other messageboards but if I don't go the Tunnels this Saturday that autotmatically means i have no interest in music which doesn't appear in NME or on MTV/radio. I don't think it's true that there are a gazillion bands you haven't heard all doing more interesting things. A lot of them are just plain mediocre so few people like them. Simple as that. Admittedly there are also a lot of bands who are great but just don't have the commercial appeal. You are forgetting still that i have heard two of three bands playing on Saturday, don't like them and don't feel like paying to see them. This is not indicative of my attitude to lesser known bands in general.

Guest stuartmaxwell
I do hear a lot of bands from the internet actually' date=' especially from other messageboards but if I don't go the Tunnels this Saturday that autotmatically means i have no interest in music which doesn't appear in NME or on MTV/radio.

You are forgetting still that i have heard two of three bands playing on Saturday, don't like them and don't feel like paying to see them. This is not indicative of my attitude to lesser known bands in general. [/quote']

as said in a previous post "this is a general post, this is not about BA+Picastro as such"

I don't think it's true that there are a gazillion bands you haven't heard all doing more interesting things

one of the stupidest and most naieve posts i have ever seen on Ab-music.com

clueless

as said in a previous post "this is a general post' date=' this is not about BA+Picastro as such"

one of the stupidest and most naieve posts i have ever seen on Ab-music.com

clueless[/quote']

You said "gazillions" which is not fucking true, don't fucking condescend me cos despite you being older (not that you'd know it by the company you keep) you are in no fucking position to do so.

Edit: Actually i apologise for making this a bit personal lets just agree to disagree before it gets any worse.

Guest stuartmaxwell

ooohh and a pedant rears its ugly head.

i dont see what the problem is with enjoying music with my mates who are a year or two younger than me or my mates who are 10 years older than me? you prob see me with the same people as most of my uni mates and sailing mates have a strong distaste for the music and clubs i like

i will have no more comment on this, me preaching to you will achieve nothing

im sure you will get the last word in though, i hope it satisfies you. i have no interest in getting into a mud slinging contest with you.

ooohh and a pedant rears its ugly head.

i dont see what the problem is with enjoying music with my mates who are a year or two younger than me or my mates who are 10 years older than me? you prob see me with the same people as most of my uni mates and sailing mates have a strong distaste for the music and clubs i like

i will have no more comment on this' date=' me preaching to you will achieve nothing

im sure you will get the last word in though, i hope it satisfies you. i have no interest in getting into a mud slinging contest with you.[/quote']

I take back the comment about you having younger friends cos i have quite a few friends who are younger and i was just trying to be offensive because I was pissed at your utterly inaccurate claim about me being naieve and clueless. Couldn't be more wrong.

Guest stuartmaxwell

what difference does a year make?

i think you dont realise that most of my friends are actually older than me, i was young for my year

what difference does a year make?

i think you dont realise that most of my friends are actually older than me' date=' i was young for my year[/quote']

It doesn't make any difference hence why i retracted the statement and tried to leave it at that. Hate to speak this way, but are we cool?

Guest valley69
I said in jest not to ever use the term "sonic exposure" again and he flew off the handle with some comment which made no sense like "fuck you. you aren't even going to the gig".

As in the bands sound like sonic youth?

I'm having a go at Malcolm cos he's going for for the company not the music

I think I explained pretty clearly why I'm going - to a) see a band I have seen before and liked (copy haho) and b) because I have heard Picastro and like them, have read good things about them, and the same applies to BA. Plus Picastro have never played in this country either, so it is a rare chance to see. There is no other basis for going to a gig. Yes, I will enjoy the company of Maxi, Zippy Neil Ex etc etc as they are fine lads with a similar like for post rock, but I'd go on my own if needs must. As highlighted by the fact that I am not going with my close friends to RGU.

Away and listen to the Jinx and let them satisfy your musical thirst. Oops sorry, it is because you work with them. My mistake.

Over and out!

I said in jest not to ever use the term "sonic exposure" again and he flew off the handle with some comment which made no sense like "fuck you. you aren't even going to the gig".

Well you have no right to coment on the sounds that I will be hearing, beacuse you're not even going to be there. There is a difference between live and on record. So snap out of it.