aberdeen-music

Recording Guitar

Guest b-bert

Guest b-bert

can anyone suggest software/interface for recording guitar onto my mac. i know guitar port only works on pc and garage band doesnt work on my machine as its too old.

M-Audio have just released a new device called the Jam Lab which is a USB device for plugging a guitar direct into your pc/mac...it also has some guitar amp simulation software. I reckon it could be pretty good...I use the Maudio transit which is very similar. As for recording, if you have an older Mac, look into Cubase 5...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

The Transit USB will work in OS9.2 if thats any use? I love this card, its turned my shitty Dell laptop into a great sounding recorder....I just use a 6.4 to 3.5mm lead for recording guitar, although its sometimes better if you have a pedal or something before the card, even if you're not using it, as it gets noisy when you switch pickup, adjust volume when connected directly to the card. This is assuming you are wanting to use guitar amp simulation software (such as guitar rig, amplitude etc.) If you just want to mic your amp, look into something like a Behringer M100 preamp (about 20 quid) which will give you an unbalanced 6.4mm output which you can use a 6.4 to 3.5mm lead...or better still you could pick up one of the cheap Behringer 2 or 4 channel mixers and connect the RCA stereo out to the 3.5mm jack on the transit, that way you can premix a few mics , add vocals or whatever....good for multitracking.

As for software, Cubase VST5 I think, try ebay, I've seen it go for around 50 for the Mac version...as for amp simulation software...this varies in price...Mac w@reZ aren't so easy to come by ;)