aberdeen-music

Layo & Bushwacka! @ Snafu

Wax

Layo & Bushwacka have been responsible for some of dance music’s most memorable, groundbreaking and unique moments and they herald 2006 with the release of “Feels Closer”, their third and finest album to date. Fans of their sound will be more than satiated but also excited with the fresh approach they’ve taken, adding live musicians to their palette which unites such disparate worlds of techno, jazz, pop and even opera. It’s a compelling proposition.

Layo Paskin’s introduction to club culture began as a sixteen year-old boy putting on funk parties. At seventeen he went to his first acid house party, which led to his immersion into underground dance. Within a couple of years he was promoting warehouse parties with Mr C (of The Shaman), and they began working on the construction of a new concept venue called The End, which opened in 1995.

Matthew ‘Bushwacka!’ Benjamin has always been into music starting, off playing percussion in the London School Symphony Orchestra, but in August 1988, his life took a sharp turn. He was offered a job handing out flyers with mobile rave crew The Ratpack, and by summer 89 he was DJing for both them and London’s legendary ‘Radio Rental’ pirate station Sunrise FM.

The duo share a belief in how music should work both in the bedroom and on the dancefloor. They make a good combination; Bushwacka! tearing his crossfade through anonymous tech tunes and electro breaks, Layo taking a more considered approach to playing ’proper’ tunes.

“The music industry is an industry where the best business people do the best and the most creative people don’t,” reflects Layo, “that’s life I suppose. But I’m hungry for that creativity. I’d like to be really good at what I do, rather then hugely successful. You need to be able to look yourself in the eye and say the route you’re taking is a good route, be proud of what you do, and on the other hand also enjoy it.” For Layo and Bushwacka!, their DJing has gone supernova and only they know where it will end up.