aberdeen-music

Wanted: Akai S20

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

fully expandable to 16mb, it has 4 and a half mins of sample time, and from reading user reviews is easy to use, cheap and has a rich slightly lo fi sound. It's a poor man's MPC, and i'm not yet ready to spend 600 quid on a beat machine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

is under 50 quid stupidly cheap? I could get an mcp500 new for 330, but if i was spending that much i'd want more than the shitty features it comes with. So that brings me into 300-odd territory for buying a 2nd hand but very capable piece of gear,vs spending 40 quid on a well recieved but limited-on-features one. Can you really say that it's a one sided argument?

Thats probably a good price for what you get to be fair, caveat emptor mind (buyer beware/be aware).

I suppose if you are using a PC for editing/FX/filtering and just using the S20 for playing the audio by pad/sequence it might be OK, everyones setup needs are different, depends on finances and priorities.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yeah and i've reconsidered actually looking at the prices of MPCs, there are 2000s and 1000s going on sospubs for 250 and even less. i really want to get out of computer editing for beat orientated music, it's too fucking fiddly and i get so bored that i can't be arsed making interesting stuff, plus I could hook my decks straight up to that bad boy and use it as an all in one production suite!

Those MPC's for those prices sounds like a proper bargain, better than the 500 by far, mind you I have gone months (years even) without having a 'spare' 200. I suppose that I like computer editing as the antithesis of guitar playing, yet the end product is the same (music), I like the different approaches that total control gives. Live deck cutting would be quite an fast, instinctive, buzzy way of working, but just depends what you have to mix with.