aberdeen-music

good news! (NEOS)

lepeep

Well, I went along to the visit scotland - northern lights tourism awards at the marcliff today as NEOS were nominated for "best aberdeenshire tourism initiative" and we won!

We were up against some fantastic events, but I think it was the coverage of the North East that swung it for us....who knows!

anyway, I just wanted to post the good news, thanks to all who visited any open studios this year.

peep

blank_pixel.jpg

And Stripey said elsewhere: "Less backward, smallminded uncultured pricks and their snide comments about people who are actually trying to do something..."

Aberdeen-Music comedy award goes to...STRIPEY!

Professionalism aside sometimes it is nice to call a spade a spade, specially when the spade makes it so 'fucking' easy!

Congrats to all involved in NEOS

sorry A5cii...

NEOS is "the North East Open Studios"...it's been on the go for 5 years. It's an artist led initiative to create an event (september) where as many of the north east's makers, craftspeople and artists open their studios to show work and processes... it's grown from 67 entries in the first year to 181 this year.

there was something like 1/4 of a million quid estimated spent during the week by people buying art. (a lot of 20p's! ho ho)

I think it's a great initiative (obviously!) and has certainly opened my eyes to new possibilities and opportunities. But...I'm a positive kind-o-guy.

that's my fault then....I'd originally said to mr stripley that he should "phone someone that gives a fuck" when telling us all his worries of mods being able to edit posts AFTER their grace period (or some such paranoid, pointless "worry" ).

I guess you could send a few txt's for 20p?....

as someone will sigh and disagree, but it's a great opportunity for makers, craftspeople and visual artists to show their work on a (possible) large scale. It's for all levels, and has even helped focus amateurs to be more professional.

I've heard lots of stories about no visitors, and heaps of visitors...it's how the individual / group markets and presents themselves.

The funny thing is, a lot of the participants think that "NEOS" will do everything for them (marketing, making sure thousands of people troop through their doors, in order to make lots of money). NEOS is "actually" 9 artists and makers who themselves have to market and promote their own venues. It's just organised by us - individual promotion...is up to the individual! (Like most things in life).

I only made 150 this year, but 2 galleries, also contacted me because of my work, and I'd got 2 commissions.

So, I thought it was worthwhile! (I wasn't in it for the money).