aberdeen-music

Amp repairs...

davewarden

Its an Ampeg B1RE, fuse keeps blowing out and DI socket needs fixed

Well we have an Ampeg account so chances are we can get spares for them. You're best asking Billy or Jamie in the Guitar Department as to what the procedure with the Ampeg stuff is as it's a fairly new set up for us, but if it's like any of the other manufacturers we do almost all out of warranty repairs in-house in the upstairs workshops if we can. That's certainly the case with Peavey, Marshall, Fender, Laney, Vox and a number of other makes.

:up:

really? i remember taking two amps there back in about 2004/5 and being telt you didnt do in house repair

my mistake!

Dunno who you got but they were talking shit. That's one of the benefits of using us if you have something Amp-wise or TV/Hi-Fi-wise that needs repairing. We've done Marshall repairs for ages. It depends of course, we may not touch some random makes as we can't guarantee that we'll be able to get spares for them but we'll do most things.

I mean, we've been repairing Capt Toms amps in-house since he opened...

Dunno who you got but they were talking shit. That's one of the benefits of using us if you have something Amp-wise or TV/Hi-Fi-wise that needs repairing. We've done Marshall repairs for ages. It depends of course, we may not touch some random makes as we can't guarantee that we'll be able to get spares for them but we'll do most things.

who is repairing the amps at millers there now?

as for the ampeg, is it valve? if its blowing fuses then its most probably got faulty power tubes.

ps

you mean cpt toms amps break down??????? that could keep you guys in work for the next 20 years!! :D

i thought they just sent the amps out. they used to do that with peavey's. I agree with most folk that said they were unaware BM did amp repairs.

might have saved me learning to do it myself if i had known that o_O

Like i said, it depends on the circumstances of the amp. If it's under warranty (through us) it'll go back to the manufacturer. I can imagine in some cirumstances amps with on-board modulation like Line 6s may go back to the manufacturer if there was some sort of modulation problem. But even then if it was just replacing a part it would be done here.

Some manufacturers require all their products to be returned to source for repair, so in that case they would be returned to manufacturer as well. But there's not really much we could do under those circumstances other than advise that you got in touch with the manufacturer yourself.

We have just repaired a Laney VC30 and there's a Peavey Powered Desk upstairs awaiting collection too. There was a Peavey 5150 on the bench last week and there was a Marshall upstairs as well.