aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I'm late to the reading-while-walking hatred - it's the same with folk tappin' away at their phones, not looking up. Even if you *are* looking up every now and then it's not going to be any fucking use on Union Street where, at peak times, you can barely move.

Which brings me to my next pet hate - people who walk fucking slowly in department stores/on a busy street. Old wifies, sure, but young couples and teenagers have no excuse to walk as though they're fucking sight-seeing.

Oh, so you didn't have to read Sunset Song at school, then?

Why the fuck did I then!? I WANT ANSWERS.

LOL my friend did and he hated the book. It almost failed him in Higher English.

Meanwhile I happily read the Great Gatsby and completely ignored it come the exam. Fuck remembering novels when you can remember poems and plays!

One more: SAAS's annoying website. I like how it's one click and you're renewed. I don't like how it doesn't fucking tell you it's one click. So naturally I forgot and clicked it and then learned they're not doing this year's apps until next month so now I need to phone and cancel it. FUCK.

Pet Hate: "I don't like Chuck Palahnuik because his books aren't intellectual enough for me."

So fucking what if it's the literary equivalent of a B-Movie, does that mean it can't be enjoyable?

xx

Nah, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I don't like him because his books are more often than not scatterbrained messes that are passed-off as being much smarter and deeper than they really are. To me, it's the literary equivalent of calling a Mindless Self Indulgence album "genius."

You're talking to a guy who has a shelf full of shitty 1980's action movies sitting about two feet away from him. I fucking love a bit of cheesy stupidity, but I can't stand Palahniuk.

LOL my friend did and he hated the book. It almost failed him in Higher English.

Meanwhile I happily read the Great Gatsby and completely ignored it come the exam. Fuck remembering novels when you can remember poems and plays!

That was exactly what I did in Higher English. I took the teacher saying passing was impossible if you only studied one poem and the play as a challenge. Got an A. Telt.

Also relevant to this page, I wrote a Fight Club rip-off for a short story in 3rd year. Got bumped up to the top class. Fucking bossed English.

Nah, you've got the wrong end of the stick. I don't like him because his books are more often than not scatterbrained messes that are passed-off as being much smarter and deeper than they really are. To me, it's the literary equivalent of calling a Mindless Self Indulgence album "genius."

You're talking to a guy who has a shelf full of shitty 1980's action movies sitting about two feet away from him. I fucking love a bit of cheesy stupidity, but I can't stand Palahniuk.

See, I don't see any pseudo-intellectualism in Chuck's books... Generally speaking I can't be fucked with pish being dressed up and sold off as being more than it is but I don't think Palahnuik's work is guilty of that.

xx

Fucking love Cake Boss. Would rather watch some angry Italians make cakes and get fucking aggro than read a Chuck Pallanhockeypuck book.

I hate when they make things out of plastic and cover it in modelling chocolate though. Fucking fakers. If I order a 5 foot long by 2 feet high tarantula cake, don't make the fucking legs out of chocolate covered pipes. I CAN'T EAT PIPES. I want to eat the entire cake.

cake-boss-418-spider-cake-400x300.jpg

I read The Great Gatsby in Higher English. I was so amazed they finally gave us a good novel to read. I've probably read it another 3 or 4 times since. One of the best books.

• Upvote 1

When my neighbours keep giving several different versions of a fucking leak.

If you're going to blame us, tell me if it's a lot of water, a little bit, is it just drips, when did it start, when did it finish etc... and telling me "oh it happened before three years ago" then "this happened two years ago", to then say "yes, it was just a year ago" does not help your case, it makes me think you're a lying fuck.

I can't find any evidence of a leak, I've checked the boiler, the sinks, I've moved the washing machine, everything! We've turned on everything that uses water and they say that the leak hasn't come back. What a fucking hassle

If you're going to blame us, tell me if it's a lot of water, a little bit, is it just drips, when did it start, when did it finish etc... and telling me "oh it happened before three years ago" then "this happened two years ago", to then say "yes, it was just a year ago" does not help your case, it makes me think you're a lying fuck.

I can't find any evidence of a leak, I've checked the boiler, the sinks, I've moved the washing machine, everything! We've turned on everything that uses water and they say that the leak hasn't come back. What a fucking hassle

It's probably coming in from outside when it's raining and running across the gap between your floor and their ceiling.

It's probably coming in from outside when it's raining and running across the gap between your floor and their ceiling.

It does irritate me that they automatically think it's us, and it's my problem. Sorry, but there is quite a large gap between our flat and theirs, and it is an old building. Just because there was an issue over three years ago does not automatically mean it is us again. Grr

That was exactly what I did in Higher English. I took the teacher saying passing was impossible if you only studied one poem and the play as a challenge. Got an A. Telt.

Also relevant to this page, I wrote a Fight Club rip-off for a short story in 3rd year. Got bumped up to the top class. Fucking bossed English.

I did three Carol-Ann Duffy poems (easy to remember) and Othello. Memorised them. Question comes up about jealousy (Yaasss) and about comparing two poens by the same author (yassss) and got a B overall since I was shit at close reading. Sweet.

I wrote a short story which ripped off something I read while living in another country in third year, my teacher said "this would get an A at Higher" and I lol'd heartily

I read The Great Gatsby in Higher English. I was so amazed they finally gave us a good novel to read. I've probably read it another 3 or 4 times since. One of the best books.

It didn't really resonate with me. I struggled to stay with it all the way. It's a decent enough book though, certainly could have done worse. I did The Accidental by Ali Smith for my personal study. I really liked that book even though it's written as a complete mindfuck.

So-my-room-mate-said-there-was-a-leak-in-the-bathroom.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Per Hate: Brian Moore. His commentary of the England v France game is fucking awful. I expect a bit of bias because he's English but not at the expense of my enjoyment of the game. Jeremy Guscott can sod off as well and Jonathan Edwards too for that matter.

• Upvote 1

Per Hate: Brian Moore. His commentary of the England v France game is fucking awful. I expect a bit of bias because he's English but not at the expense of my enjoyment of the game. Jeremy Guscott can sod off as well and Jonathan Edwards too for that matter.

Moore has always been the worst. Jonathan Davies is bad for Wales but at least he gives a bit of analysis, Moore just out and spurs England on. It's shocking.