aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Liverpool just keep on giving. There have been so many times over the last year that I had thought they'd gone as low as they could and then they out do themselves with another hilarious failure.

Sounds like the dons had it tougher than I would have liked but at least we're through and we got a little bit of revenge on Raith for last year.

Chelsea going out is a bit annoying, but there are loads of reasons I can use to pretend I don't care about the Carling cup.

Barca made hard work of their win tonight even accounting for Messi being out. at least La Liga is looking more competitive so far than predicted.

Liverpool just keep on giving. There have been so many times over the last year that I had thought they'd gone as low as they could and then they out do themselves with another hilarious failure.

Sounds like the dons had it tougher than I would have liked but at least we're through and we got a little bit of revenge on Raith for last year.

Chelsea going out is a bit annoying, but there are loads of reasons I can use to pretend I don't care about the Carling cup.

Barca made hard work of their win tonight even accounting for Messi being out. at least La Liga is looking more competitive so far than predicted.

I saw bits of that Barca game. It looked fucking awful. Very dull. No atmosphere in the stadium either. How can that many people just not do anything?

I don't like Chelsea, but I didn't want them to go out. I wanted to see more Gael Kakuta and Daniel Sturridge. Zhirkov is wasting away when Ashley Cole is fit too. I genuinely think he's one of the best all round left backs in the Premier League, but he just won't get a look in past Cole. He can play on the wing too, but that also seems a rarity. Great player, needs to play every week though. He's just far too good to be a squad player like Benayoun or Kalou etc.

The atmosphere in Camp Nou is never the best, especially in tight games. The crowd seems to be made up of 90000 football supporters like me, they sit nervously and quietly when a game is close. It's ok for me but I expect the rest of the crowd to be shouting/ singing like idiots so when I do make a lame insult towards the referee no one actually hears me.

I think the lack of a noticeable away crowd at most Spanish games probably affects the atmosphere. It's always the best when the two sets of fans try and out sing each other and aim chants at each other. When there's no away support there's no one to insult. Saying that the atmosphere at Valencia is supposed to be pretty good.

Agree on Zhirkov too, it's a shame there's no way he'll get a regular run in the team. barring a bad injury to Cole. He was really great for Russia in the last euros.

[edit]

also Gael Kakuta is a fucking great name!

was a little disappointed there wasnt proper highlights of the cobblers victory over the scousers but I suppose they really werent expecting that so had to make do with one of those report type thingies.

I dont blame the bigger teams who are in europe fielding weaker sides but you'd think the mid table sides who arent in europe might take it a bit more seriously. and to be fair as has been said there was enough internationals on the pitch for liverpool to win the match. If I was Hodgson I'd have fielding my strongest side and have a right go at winning the competition to keep the scouse fans (temporarily) happy!

Guest idol_wild

I'd really hate to be a Liverpool fan. I'd suffer from dangerously low self-esteem and probably become unhinged in a very big way. Yet still have an ego the size of Liverpool Docklands.

I don't think I've ever encountered a balanced Liverpool fan. They all seem to have the same little chip on their shoulder; a chip that smells distinctly like desperation. They can see their club slipping and slipping and there's fuck all they can do about it. It's great.

Fuck Liverpool.

I'd really hate to be an Aberdeen fan. I'd suffer from dangerously low self-esteem and probably become unhinged in a very big way. Yet still have an ego the size of Aberdeen City itself.

I don't think I've ever encountered a balanced Aberdeen fan. They all seem to have the same little chip on their shoulder; a chip that smells distinctly like desperation. They can see their club slipping and slipping and there's fuck all they can do about it. It's great.

Fuck Aberdeen.

Fixed that for you ;)

Fit aboot the Dons though? Mugic!

Do we finally have a centre forward who can score goals regularly?

Hope so!

He's doing the Arild Stavrum by being in the right place (his goal against United was a cracker though).

Langfield is woeful however. His kicking and distribution are especially bad. And yet another howler last night.

And Ifil is poop.

Hartley will also be a big miss :(

Roll on the Huns on Sunday (I fear it could be a tough one though).

Their years of success were so long ago though so they should have come to terms with it in the 90's. Other teams who were successful at the time, like Everton, don't cling on to former glory in the same way. I think their biggest downfall is constantly having to let great players leave. Losing Arbeloa, Alonso and Mascherano in the space of two years is not good. Especially when their replacements are the likes of Poulsen and easily forgettable Aqualani. Roy has done some good things so far, but none of it has been on the pitch yet. As of now, they are stuck in a limbo with Torres too. Is he happy? Is he fit? Will he stay fit? Will he leave if they don't win trophies? It's not worth it. Sell him for stupid money. Buy 2 or 3 strikers to replace him. Get on with it. They could probably afford Suarez and Dzeko with the sort of money Torres would command.

Hope so!

He's doing the Arild Stavrum by being in the right place (his goal against United was a cracker though).

Langfield is woeful however. His kicking and distribution are especially bad. And yet another howler last night.

And Ifil is poop.

Hartley will also be a big miss :(

Roll on the Huns on Sunday (I fear it could be a tough one though).

I wasn't at the game so can't comment (other than agreeing about Ifil). Langers has been one of our better players over the past few years but I reckon Howard looks strong enough to come in if Langfield is out of form.

Hartley being out will be a massive blow for Sunday. How long will he be out for? Hate to say it but the Huns are looking very strong (relative to the quality of Scottish fitba).

Without Ifil we woulda been beat last night. He bailed McArdle, Cons and Diamond out time and time again. He was, however, semi-at fault for their 2nd; he was fouled , but still shoulda cleared his lines properly.

Seems like some Dons fans have made up their minds on him and won't budge in the slightest, even when he has a good game. He's not a great player, but he, Hartley, Bebo and Vernon were the only starters who warrant pass-marks imo.

Without Ifil we woulda been beat last night. He bailed McArdle, Cons and Diamond out time and time again. He was, however, semi-at fault for their 2nd; he was fouled , but still shoulda cleared his lines properly.

Seems like some Dons fans have made up their minds on him and won't budge in the slightest, even when he has a good game. He's not a great player, but he, Hartley, Bebo and Vernon were the only starters who warrant pass-marks imo.

He's dire! A carthorse (and not in a good Brian Irvine way).

It's not about budging, it's the fact he's utter poop.

In my opinion anyway.

He'll be gone at the end of the season i'd imagine.

The Dons did well to come from behind last night though to get the win. Showing a bit of steel for once.

Let's see who we get in the draw!

Correct. Gold star!

Aberdeen v Falkirk

Motherwell v Dundee United

Kilmarnock v Rangers

St Johnstone v Celtic

Mystic Scorge would now like to predict a scrappy 1-0 win in front of around 7500 sheep who spend most of the game going 'at's fuckin' brutal', before drawing one of the OF in the semi and going down 3-0 at Hampden thanks to a dodgy referee.

You know it's true, ho ho.....