aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

First day of the season for me.  Laced with euphoric thrill and hope we might have at the very least a half exciting campaign.  The TV cameras of BT Sport are parading their asses at the home of toilet football - The Abbey Stadium - for our opening encounter against newly promoted FC Halifax.  Not so keen on a 12 O Clock Sunday kick off (we been here before in the conference with stupid kick off times thanks to Setanta RIP) but I think BT Sport covering the conference will be a good thing.

I always think first game of the season is akin to first day back at school.  I only attended one pre season friendly which was nice but you cannot beat competitive games.  As with most of our beloved clubs there has been changes aplenty in the squad, something like 10 new signings.  Hopefully of an opening day victory, on paper our signings look pretty shrewd (our director of football (yes we have one lol) obviously plays football manager on a tight budget!) but been here before only for disappointment to be etched within my persona by late September.

Could this year be any different?  Who knows it just great to have the football back and come rain or shine I will still love my beloved football team until the day I draw my last breath.

What the fuck were Celtic doing playing a friendly against Liverpool yesterday??? Bloody managers moan about too many games yet at the first opportunity whisk the players away for a lucrative but ultimately meaningless friendly although I imagine the managers have absolutely no say in these matters.

And in the unlikely event plucky unfashionable Wigan Athletic pull off a shock win against Manchester United in the community shield this afternoon, I would imagine David Moyes will be leading the Premier League sack race before a competitive league ball has been kicked... that's the nature of the game these days.  Sure he will be given at least three months to prove his worth that he can grapple with the big boys!

I think Moyes is going to be given time. The bookies might place him at the top of the sack race, but the bookies know nothing. I think Moyes will have the freedom to win no trophies this year and at least build a team of his own. He's had it tough from the off, as Fergie pushed him in the deep end by leaving the Rooney saga up in the air, but I think at least one signing will come in before deadline day, and a bit more activity next summer.

United have always been drab in pre-season, but it was never really a problem, because pre-season is all about getting a run out, and shaking off the holiday cobwebs. Because it's new boy Moyes, every result has been put under a microscope, as if every game was a huge game, when it wasn't. So he's drawn a few pre-season games, and nobody has come in to bolster the midfield, people (including dickhead United fans) are wanting him out before the season has even started. It's not really Moyes' fault that Woodward has failed to seal transfer targets, nor is it Moyes' fault that Wayne Rooney is a wank. What is positive is that he's giving the promising academy players a run out, which Fergie was reluctant to do in his latter years, and he's got United playing a much higher line, applying pressure. Fergie was never a fan of pressing, and preferred to sit deep and play on the counter, which worked for him mostly, but it came unstuck against teams who were willing to press high against him. It's positive to see United now pressing high themselves and not sitting back, inviting goals to be scored. He also got Anderson to play a full 90 minutes, 3 games in a row. Probably deserves the LMA gong just for that.

3rd place finish at the very least, make the home ground a fortress like he did at Goodison, at least get out of the Champions League group. I think that would represent an acceptable transitional season for Moyes making the step up. Anything thereafter would be a bonus. If he gets sacked for not immediately making the grade, then there was simply no point in hiring Moyes. It was Fergie and Bobby Charlton who recruited Moyes, so I can't see old fashioned heads like them sacking Moyes at the first sign of difficulty.

Well an entertaining spectacle at the Abbey this lunchtime!  FC Halifax grabbed an early lead then got 2 players straight red carded by the 21st minute, we missed one of the resulting penalties but it mattered not one whit as we ended up triumphing comfortably 5-1 against the nine men.  Hard to judge because the opponents were obviously weakened but hey a 5-1 is a 5-1 and a cracking way to get our season going.

I too think Moyes will be given time, has he not got a long contract five or six years?  It's tough to call who will win the Prem League this season given the managerial changes, could be an exciting title race I think.

What the fuck were Celtic doing playing a friendly against Liverpool yesterday??? Bloody managers moan about too many games yet at the first opportunity whisk the players away for a lucrative but ultimately meaningless friendly although I imagine the managers have absolutely no say in these matters.

I think they were lured by the million pound pot, of which they got eight hundred thousand for their win

I don't understand how Rodgers is handling this...

Rodgers: Go train by yourself you've been a very naughty boy.

Suarez: Ok.

Rodgers: You can come back but you have to apologize to your team.

Suarez: No.

Rodgers: Oh please...

This week is just going to be a week of Suarez, his international team mates and the Uruguayan media (who love him) going on about how Liverplol broke promises to him.  It's going to get messy... er.

Sell him for 40/50 million and spend it wisely this is not helping their season prep.

A good start to Rooney week. Not fit enough even for the bench yesterday, though Evans was despite doing his groin in recently. Kagawa's barely played over the summer, nor has Valencia, but fit enough for a bench start, and a quick 2nd half appearance, Not Rooney. Then he reports to England first thing this morning, and Hodgeson deems him fully fit by lunchtime.

Aye. On yer bike, you cunt.

Can you tell which players Paul Lambert wants rid of?

Given, N'Zogbia, Bent, Ireland, Hutton and Bannan have been given the squad numbers 35, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42 respectively. I do this in FM when I'm trying to shift players on and don't want to mess up my numbering!

I don't even give them numbers. To the reserves!!!!