aberdeen-music

experimantal/jazz/hip hop

Guest Philip

Guest stripey
Originally posted by Philip Johnston

I was going to see if anyone was interested in starting up a new band with that sort of sound in mind. I then remembered that I'm already in three bands, so I deleted the post.

But I have cravings to do something esoteric!!

Ahh.

Well im quite into programming beats and basslines on the computer, hiphop/breakbeat/house/dnb etc, but I can't play any instruments to save my life and im lacking that "real" feel of proper instruments....

have a listen to

http://totally.kicks-ass.net/stripey/stripey--unix_intrusionist.mp3

or

http://totally.kicks-ass.net/stripey/stripey--lacka.mp3

if you wanna hear what im up to....I'd love to have some samples of real instruments like sax or flute to experiment with....just need to find some kind soul who would be up for some laid back informal composition via the internet just for fun type thing ;)

Guest stripey

I'm downloading & listening to the tracks right now... be back soon!

I aint anything too spectacular ive only been doing music for a 2 or 3 years max, i can barely play the piano eheheh.

Guest stripey

No worries there, I mean Brian Eno's been getting away with it for more than 30 years!!

Lol.

How did you learn flute/guitar/sax? I can only really put together really generic melodies, i learned a bit about chord theory so i can make stuff which is at least in tune/harmony but i'm really at a loss when it comes to writing leads

Guest stripey

I'm 28, started playing guitar when I was 15, key's a few years later and sitar/flute/sax at 21-ish.

In my younger days, I used to be a bit of a hermit, I'd rather stay in than go out and get pissed & try to play these instruments learning as I went along. I have had some flute & guitar lessons as well.

It's just a matter of time and patience, anyone can/could do it if they try!

I'm so envious of people who can play instruments, its frustrating knowing that it just requires an investiment of time and patience. Are there any mp3's online of the bands you play in?